Monday, April 9, 2012

Sunday! Allelujah!


Sunday, March 18, 2012  Day 9

What a beautiful day Sunday can be!! I awoke early this morning and Phillip and I went to what we were told was 8am mass. When we walked the short path over through the woods, we approached a man ringing the church bell out back of the church. (Very much made me think of the old church bell outside of St. Catherine’s in Noble!) We said our hellos and walked passed him to the main entrance of the church. Empty. Not even a sound. The doors were wide open, but no one was around so we walk back to the guy ringing the bell. “8:30,” he says. We decided to walk into town and come back.

We walk down to the swamp that separates Kamakwie I from Kamakwie II and stand on the bridge taking in the beauty of the green all around. We stayed and watched the field workers tend their small crops as the Muslim school children hurried past on their way to class. Finally we decided it was getting close to time for mass to start, so we headed back. 8:30 and a few more people were entering, but still a long way from being even half full. And still no sign of a priest! At some point around 9am the processional began with loud singing and clapping. My best guess is that this church is on African time, which Is perfectly fine with me because you can never be late if you don’t know what time it starts!!

There was a child playing drums and everyone sang in Krio. There was a lot of singing, clapping and dancing. I sincerely enjoyed it! I saw several people that I recognized. Everyone was very well dressed in their Sunday best, and most of all the mass was in English. The church itself was very nice and the priest was African. I very much enjoyed the mass and it made me realize how much I missed not going last week.

After mass, we went with Dr. Karen and Dr. Tom to one of the Wesleyan churches in a nearby village. When we arrived there were people sitting outside the steps to the main entrance. As we got up to the door, people began to usher the “strangers” to the front. We squeezed our way through a mass of people and found a seat. We sat through 2 and ½ hours of preaching, sermons, and collection baskets with people again dancing in the aisles.

It was a very fun and unique experience, but one that I honestly hope that I never have to go through again. It was so insanely hot that several people had to leave. Dr. Tom even got sick. At one point, I felt I might even lose consciousness.

After church and lunch I enjoyed a nap until Phillip came to get me for a walk to the tailor. I am amazed with what fine work he does. I had two skirts made. Plus, he was in church this morning so I’m not sure when he ever sleeps! The work was phenomenal though and both fit just fine. He is making a matching bag for tomorrow. The may be my new favorite thing to do in SL!!


No comments:

Post a Comment