Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Shooting Stars

March 17, 2012    Day 9

Tonight on our walk home, Phillip and I saw the most amazing shooting star. It is quite impressive how clear the skies have become now that they have stopped the burning. We were admiring how brightly the stars were shining when at the same moment, we noticed a star begin to move. It appeared to be in slow motion, as in a movie, but as it shot out across the dark black sky, something miraculous happened- it curved upward and made a large swooping motion. We both gasped. It was truly breathtaking. I think it was a sign from God that despite how much I struggle every day to accept the things in life that are occurring all around me, all is how it should be in the world. Sometimes I feel like I am that tiny little star shooting wildly out of control, spinning crazily as the rest of the world sits by and watches- not daring to move. It is a difficult feeling.

Today I covered the peds ward again. A new patient came in respiratory distress. He was less than a year old. I was alone on the floor and by the time I got to him he was boiling hot and shaking all over with a rhythmic twitch to his body. He lay there helpless, his temperature was growing closer to 105 degrees. I had to do something, but there was no doctor. I had to be this child's doctor. I spoke to the nurse. We agreed on the medications and dosages and he quickly began giving them. By the time Dr. Tom returned, the child had almost stopped seizing. It was a scary moment, but later we checked on the child again and he was still stable. I hope he knows someday how much he scared me, but even more how much he taught me. You can't be afraid of what you don't know here- This Is Africa- there's no time.

When we went back to check on the patient, we took photos of the different hospital wards. (I figured out a camera is a great way to make friends!) We stopped by the Alpha unit and visited with the children there. They were so tiny and precious. I hope to be able to spend more time there this week. There's a tiny set of twins there and I had an amazing photo shoot with them. I can't wait to visit again.



I found time (after reorganizing the pharmacy) to go down to the tailor with Bud and Judy today. It was alot of fun to go and pick out the fabrics and decide what I wanted, but it blew my mind  that the fabric cost more than the tailor charged to make each skirt! Each skirt cost ~2 US dollars to make!! I was shocked. I told Phillip we will have to make sure to tip him well. I hope they turn out nicely. If so, I plan to go back weekly.

I'm beginning to slowly have more and more fun here as I grow used to the environment. Tonight we had a huge dinner at the Asher's and ended the evening with a game of Monopoly cards. I really love NOT having a TV!!

No comments:

Post a Comment