Friday, June 17, 2011

Chillin' on a dirt road . . .

       As Angela informed you, we arrived to Louisiana late on a Friday night after an epic 19 hour drive.  If any of you ever have a chance, take a drive through Tennessee and Alabama in the end of spring.  The mountains, green hills, twisty rivers and expansive lakes collide to make a beautiful landscape.  I thoroughly enjoyed the drive as Angela slept.
      Upon arriving in Louisiana at 2a I was promptly invited to play co-ed softball the next morning which I gladly accepted.  However, after going 1-5 and realizing may baseball swing was no match for the difficulties of slow pitch, I have officially retired from the game.   (Until the next game I get invited to play at which time I will pull a Favre).   Besides playing softball I have filled my leisurely time fishing.  With the skill provided to me by beginners luck, I am proud to say I out-fished Angela.  I think it was because I used organic bait and California cheese (Happy cheese makes for happy fish :)).  Toledo bend is beautiful and if I could go fishing there every Saturday morning I do no think I would ever leave.
      When I am not enjoying the outdoors I am working.  I have been privileged to work with a Hem/Onc doctor in Shreveport for the last two weeks.  I was really impressed with the city of Shreveport and the friendliness of the people.  As one doc said "its a big city with a small town attitude".  I might also add the greater Shreveport area has managed to engineer a way for 200,000+  people to commute back and forth from work without any traffic jams.  I was also really impressed with Oncology.  It confirmed my passion for medicine and my desires to be an oncologist (maybe).   I enjoyed the challenges of talking with and treating patients in all stages of cancer.  There were some triumphs and some sad situations but every patient was rewarding.  Hearing all the patients stories was real enjoyable.  There was much to learn about cancer and even more about people's journey in faith.   It is amazing how much and how wonderfully faith plays a role, no matter the religion, in the well-being of patients.  In my two weeks I have learned to appreciate the complexity of cancer and the strength of the people who battle it every day.
      Though Angela and I have spent most of our time in Louisiana on medical rotations, the main reason for being in Louisiana right now is Liddy, and she is beautiful.  She was born a little over a week ago and has already been a blessing to all that have met her.  Kris and Nick are going to be wonderful parents and I am sure Angela and I will never feel too far away from Liddy with all the pictures of her that will be posted.  Nick and Kris have hogged her in Glenmora all week but as I write this she is on her way back to Noble for the weekend and I am excited to see Liddy again.
      Sadly our time in Louisiana is rapidly coming to an end.  It feels like we just got here and if every part of our journey goes this quickly we are gonna be a resident before we have a chance to learn anything about medicine (stay away from any hospital I may be working in next July).  I have loved being here.  You cannot beat bbqs every weekends, hot DRY weather, lakes to fish on, and family to hang out with.  I am thankful for the warm southern hospitality that has been offered to me, especially Angela's parents who have let me crash at their place for two weeks, and to Granny and Pa who have let Angela and I study for boards on their computer every night.  It will be sad to leave but I am excited to continue the journey, we are getting closer and closer to Africa and graduation!  Though hardcore board studying is in the near future so I am not excited about that.
       Until then I am going to enjoy this weekend in the warm Louisiana sunshine and hopefully enjoy one last bbq!  We are then off to Las Vegas to celebrate Daniel's graduation and birthday!  I think we have found a new birthday tradition for Daniel :).  Things we are praying for:  Kris, Nick and Liddy, focus for boards, safe traveling, peace and health for both of our families, and that Mark does not maim himself or any customer while he sells knives.

No comments:

Post a Comment